Saturday 2 July 2016

Accessorise!

I went to the Women and God weekend at the Hayes Conference Centre in Swanwick with the Home League ladies from Ripley Salvation Army corps, which was from the 24th to the 26th of June. The  theme of the weekend was accessorise. There was a dressmakers dummy at the front of the hall when we arrived arrayed with all kinds of things, scarves, jewellery etc.

One of the first things they did was to take off all the accessories from the dummy which reminded me of Paul when he said, wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Hebrews 12:1.
I remember a few years ago going to see my daughter, I very rarely went anywhere without my backpack at the time, I had to go into town for something for her and started walking, I remember that it wasn’t a particularly great day regarding the weather in fact it was rather dull and overcast, but I had such a lightness in my step that I had to stop and wonder why. Then I realised I didn’t have the backpack, I had left the weight behind. Everything in it was of some use but it wasn’t absolutely necessary for my journey, and this weekend reminded me that whilst many things in my life are useful they are not always an absolute necessity.

There are many things that can weigh us down in our Christian walk, we have to prioritise. There was the constant reminder all through the weekend, In Christ Alone. Not by any effort on my part, I don’t have to muster up strength, I am weak my strength is in Him. I don’t have to work for salvation, my salvation is by faith in Him. I am covered with the robe of righteousness which I have because of Him. In Christ alone is my strength, my hope, my joy, my peace, my salvation, my righteousness……. Etc.

In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone! who took on flesh
Fulness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones he came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.
Keith Getty and Stuart Townend  

So what accessories do I need?
Romans 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.

Romans 13:14  But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.

Ephesians 4:24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Colossians 3:12  Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;



All of which are not accessories but necessities as we walk daily in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment