Thursday 31 August 2017

Cripple Tom and his Texts part three

“But now about yourself. How would you like to end your days in one of those homes for cripple lads, where you would be nursed and cared for, and where you would see the trees and flowers, and hear the birds sing? I could get you into one not far from my home if you liked, Tom.”
The weary lad looked wistfully into the man’s kindly face, and after a few moments silence answered: “Thank’ee, sir; I have heard tell of ‘em afore, but I ain’t anxious to die easy when He died hard. I might get taken up with them things a bit too much, and I’d rather be a lookin’ at Him, and carryin’ on this ‘ere work till He come to fetch me.”
“Well, my lad, then I will see that you have proper food and all the paper you need while you live. I will settle it with one of the Bible-women. Now, laddie, before I go I want you to pray aloud for me.”
There was a bright light on the poor, pale, upturned face, as he said in a tone of the deepest reverence: “Lord Jesus, I know you’re a-listenin’, and I’m much obliged to You for sending this gentleman here to cheer me in my work. Now, Lord Jesus, he’s a bit troubled about not havin’ lived for Thee in past days, will You help him to see that there’s nothing’ left undone in the comin’ days? And please, Lord, make him go straight away and tell them other rich men of Thy love. Now, Lord Jesus, please bless this kind friend, all roads and always. I ask this for Thy name’s sake.”
“Amen” said the deep-toned voice.
Then the gentleman rose, and said farewell. Before leaving London, he made arrangement for the lad to be cared for, and then with a gladder heart he went back to his beautiful country home, and lived for Christ. News of the dying lad reached them from time to time through the Bible-woman, but it was not till winter set in, and the snow had fallen and covered the earth with its crystal whiteness, that they heard the dear lad had

GONE TO BE WITH JESUS.

The same post brought a parcel which contained Tom’s much-prized and much-used Bible. What a precious relic was that marked Bible in that beautiful home! For when the cripple boy’s friend lent it to his youngest son to read, the careful marking, the short simple prayers written by the cripple lad on the margin, and the dying wish on the fly-leaf, written about a week before his death, that “This Holy book may be as great a friend to someone else as it have been to me,” made a deep impression on the youth that he got converted, and gave himself to the Lord, and later on to mission work in foreign fields; and out in Central Africa he has shown that worn-out Bible to many a native Christian telling them about Cripple Tom and his texts.

Reader, young or old, have you learned to know the Lord Jesus as your personal Saviour? If not, He waits to be gracious – to be to you little child, and to you, grown-up man and woman, all that He was to Cripple Tom. If you know Him, are you seeking to serve Him? If a dying lad, in suffering and destitution, could joyfully deny the little sip of milk, which cooled his parched lips, and partly fed his weary body, surely it is possible for us to suffer a little, deny ourselves a little, and work a little for the blessed Saviour, who has loved us, and given Himself for us.


Taken from The Journey And It's End, compiled by A. J. Pollock
-->

1 comment:

  1. Hello sister Hilary. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. Your post on " Cripple Tom and His Texts Part Three" is moving and challenging your blog followers to make sure you know the Savior and if you know then are you seeking to serve Him. I am truly blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about your christian experience. Interestingly I too am born in 1949 and came to the Lord at the age of 23 and then the Lord called me for the full time ministry. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 38 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have your young and grown up children come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete