Wednesday 24 February 2021

Dr Do Better and Dr Time Enough

Here is a physician who is really talkative as well, they have all had a lot to say just like Job’s comforters, chapter after chapter they had a lot to say and Dr Do Better says he can help me, and he says “it is quite true that you have done some bad things but you can’t help the past, the past is the past and you can’t change it, it’s gone now, so what you must do from here on is turn over a new leaf and you must do better in the future than you have done in the past, if you try to do better in the future you will be comforted by that and all will be well.” That’s what he says, but you know Dr Do Better the answer to him is that even when I do well there is something still bad with me, even when I am doing my best I am conscious that things are not quite as they should be with me, and actually my very best efforts seem to be filthy rags, problem, problem, problem. And besides how can a better future blot out a guilty past? Even if I could do better in the future what about all the mistakes I’ve made and all the bad things I have already done, “I am so miserable Dr Do Better and you are no help to me you are just like all the others, another worthless physician.” Can’t somebody help me? 

 At this point there is a knock on the door and it is Dr Time Enough, “Don’t worry” he says “there is no immediate cause for concern, this condition can be controlled. You are not wrong to consider your present state and your eternal destiny but just relax, eat drink and be merry” and click, click, click goes my mind and I realise that he has left the end bit of that off because it says eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die, but he’s not mentioned that bit and he continues “relax, don’t worry about it because there is always a death bed conversion to fall back on” “but what if I don’t have a deathbed, what if suddenly something happens and there’s no deathbed, what then?” and he is no better than all the others, another worthless physician as Job would put it. I am getting desperate and suddenly I am confronted by somebody who is called Dr Too Late. 





No comments:

Post a Comment