Saturday 27 December 2014

Listening to the owls song part 2

Wednesday at Willersley was our Christmas day which of course would not have been complete without a visit from Santa.


We had a traditional turkey lunch which was delicious and a buffet at teatime. I was going to go out for a walk but decided on a lie down instead. We had entertainment in the evening a group of singers called Friends in Harmony, I thoroughly enjoyed it so much so that I forgot to take any photographs.

Thursday our Boxing day we had another walk into Matlock for a walk around the shops and a lovely cuppa in Costa. The evening entertainment was put on by all the Turkey and Tinsel people we had a varied evening with comedy poems and songs and some traditional Christmas songs and poems. Not forgetting Ralph's comedy routine. I sang a song "Whose are they are they your fathers?" in operatic style and then sang "All the Way" by Mo Wilkinson, a song that has the gospel message in it, because that is what Christmas is all about. The truth of why Jesus came.

Friday morning I waved everyone off, I was staying a couple of extra nights so that I could relax after the busy days and evenings we'd had. I walked along the river to Matlock and came out at Ley's park where they were having a Victorian Christmas weekend. It was wonderful there was lots to do and to see. Massive tents with all kinds of craft and things in, I could have spent a fortune but what fascinated me most was the falcons and owls, I did manage to get some lovely photo's, you could pay to have your photo taken with one of the birds all the proceeds went to charity, anyone taking a picture of the birds was asked to drop a donation in the bucket.


The one in the top corner just screeched and screeched but the rest were very quiet. After walking round and buying a few bits I caught the bus back to Willersley to a lovely evening meal and an early night. I had to changed rooms for the extra two nights but even so I could still hear the owl's hoot as he let everyone know it was his territory, I think it must have been a tawny owl because he sounded just like this one

Saturday I walked around the grounds of Willersley fungi hunting and I did manage to find some.


And then off again for a walk along the river there had been a frost and everywhere looked so lovely, when I got to the river it was steaming as the suns rays were on it.


After a quick walk through Matlock I got a bus to Bakewell I wasn't there long as it was getting late, I was getting tired and my feet were aching. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and even went on a trip down memory lane when I caught a Hulley's bus back to the hotel. I used to catch those buses forty years ago when I stayed with my mum and dad at Cliff College. Of course they have modern buses now but they used to be real bone shakers :) And the thing about Hulley's is that they go all around the houses up the hills and down the dales, it was lovely I saw geese, lama and ostrich in the Derbyshire countryside!! Forty years ago I would have seen the geese but not the rest.

Of all the things I have seen and done on this holiday I have to say that one of the highlights had to be hearing and seeing the owls. People can be territorial, they say that an Englishman's home is his castle. I am very grateful for my little castle but I'm not territorial about it after all as a Christian I'm just passing through I have a home waiting for me that far surpasses any castle here. I am grateful for what I have but I am even more grateful for what God has done for me through His Son Jesus Christ in order that I might know forgiveness and have everlasting life, now that is something worth hooting about!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment